Question No. 328
Senator Ludlam asked the Minister representing the Minister for Foreign Affairs, upon notice, on 6 December 2010:
With reference to disarmament diplomacy:
(1) What is the status of the recommendations in the International Commission on Nuclear Non proliferation and Disarmament (ICNND) report.
(2) Are there plans to support the Centre it recommends, which is also being promoted by Mr Gareth Evans, the Chair of the ICCND.
(3) (a) How many full-time equivalent staff are working within the department that have expertise in, and are focused on, nuclear disarmament and non proliferation issues; and (b) for each of these positions, can a list be provided stating the level within the agency at which they work, and the duration of their focus on this issue.
Senator Conroy - the following answer has been provided by the Minister for Foreign Affairs to the honourable Senator's question:
(1) The Government's response to the report of the International Commission on Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament is set out in a media release of 3 May 2010 by the then Minister for Foreign Affairs, Stephen Smith, which can be found at http://www.foreignminister.gov.au/archives.html.
(2) The Government is aware of various ideas for taking this proposal forward but as yet no decision has been made as to what sort of support the Government might extend.
(3) This response focuses on staff currently working on nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation issues within the Department and at posts which have a substantial focus on nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation issues.
(a) 29.85 Full Time Equivalent Staff
(b) SES Band 3 x 1 - 1.5 years
SES Band 2 x 3 - 0.5, 0.8, 1.5 years
SES Band 1 x 6 - 1, 1, 2, 2, 6, 8 years
EL2 x 9 - 0.5, 0.5, 1.5, 6, 6, 9, 9, 20, 21 years
EL1 x 13 - 1, 1, 1.5, 2, 4, 4, 6, 6, 8, 9, 12, 14, 21 years
APS6 x 7 - 0.75, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3 years
APS5 x 1 - 2 years
APS4 x 1 - 0.2 years